TITLE: ONE ON One BEHAVIORAL INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT Mesa Arts Academy
REPORTS TO: Supervising Teacher and Assistant Principal
FSLA: Part Time
This employee is responsible for assisting the teacher in organizing and implementing an instructional, academic program for their assigned student(s). This employee will work under direct supervision of a teacher or teachers. In most cases, this position is a part-time position with no benefits.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the teacher with maintaining a classroom environment conducive to effective learning for their assigned student(s).
- Assisting with duties that require movement of students to areas on campus.
- Maintaining classroom environment conducive to effective learning by utilizing approved school-wide classroom management techniques as needed.
- Utilizing the Discipline Referral Flow Chart in documenting and processing behavior issues as needed.
- Follow approved schedules and procedures for starting and ending classes, and the transitioning of students.
- Understand all fire drill and lock down procedures.
Knowledge of Subject Matter:
- Provide one-to-one assistance to children/adolescents with behavior disorders in the school
- Prompt interventions in the areas of: behavior management, conflict resolution, anger management, and peer interaction skills based on plan goals
- Communicating accurate knowledge of subject matter in a comprehensible manner using language and style appropriate to the learner.
- Applying concepts, laws, and rules relevant to subject matter.
- Demonstrating a breadth of subject matter knowledge that enables students to approach and relate topics from a variety of perspectives, interests, and points of view.
- Using the current references, materials, and technologies of the subject field in a manner appropriate to the developmental stage of the learner.
- Demonstrating the ability to check student comprehension of subject matter and providing accurate feedback to their student.
Planning for Instruction:
- Assisting the teacher with the design of the academic program based on the assessed needs of their assigned student(s).
- Assisting the teacher with preparation and implementation of lesson plans for their student(s) based on assessed needs and in accordance with the Academy’s philosophy and curriculum system.
Delivery of Instruction:
- Providing academic assistance and support for individual and/or small groups of students.
- Assisting the teacher with effective utilization of media and technology.
Assessment of Student Performance:
- Assisting the teacher with administration of appropriate assessments designed to measure their assigned student(s) progress.
- Assisting the teacher with evaluating student progress on a regular basis and
providing feedback to their assigned student(s).
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative relations with other employees.
- Utilizing approved methods and forms for out-of-classroom referrals.
Professional Development Program:
- Continuing professional growth through educational in-service, meetings, and required trainings.
- Assisting the teacher with taking necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, materials, equipment and facilities.
- Performing other responsibilities, as directed.
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor or Administrative staff.
- Attending all aides’ meetings and professional development activities.
- Assist in office when assigned student(s) are absent.
- Record arrival time before entering classroom on Electronic Time Card in school office.
1. High School Diploma or equivalent, AND
2. Associate’s Degree, OR
3. 60 hours of college/university level course work, OR
4. Demonstrated proficiency on State assessment.
5. Experience with Emotional/Behavioral disorders a must.